22.3.08

Random Conversations #003

It was Wednesday morning. I had on my sunglasses. I had my music blaring and windows were down.
I was cruising through Hollywood, turning onto La Cienega from Sunset when it happened.
I stopped at a red light and this bizarre looking girl ran up to my window. We shall call her Girl.
She was a round faced girl wearing round glasses. Her brown curly hair was cut low. She was wearing a brown fuzzy jacket, the
kind of thing you expect to see at a liberal arts college in December or any hostel around the world.
She knocked on my window.

GIRL: Hey do you think you could give me a ride down to Wilshire? (five blocks away)
WILL: Uh, okay.

The Girl gets into my car. She settles in. She didn't put on her seat belt and started looking at me all curious like. For a second I thought she was new age hippie granola chick that liked to pick up rides just to meet people and go on adventures. I wasn't in the mood for an adventure and I sure don't like being looked at like I'm under a microscope and she was doing exactly that.

WILL: So where are you from?
GIRL: I'm from West Hollywood?

And then I knew we had a problem.

GIRL: Where are you from?
WILL: I'm from Virginia.
GIRL: Oh my brother's been to West Virginia.
WILL: That's cool.
GIRL: So where are you going?
WILL: I have a meeting in Beverly Hills.
GIRL: Oh yeah, what for? What do yo do?
WILL: I'm a DVD producer and we're going to talk about some pitches and stuff.
GIRL: Cool. I love DVDS.
WILL: So uh, what do you do?
GIRL: I sleep with people for money.
WILL: Oh, right on.
GIRL: Yeah, I use the whole "catch a ride" to avoid the cops. It just looks like I'm hitchhiking.
WILL: That works. Really?
GIRL: Yeah, it's great!
WILL: I can't believe that... And you do well?
GIRL: Yeah, I do great.
WILL: ....
GIRL: You know, I've had the chance to do a lot of drugs, a lot of hard core drugs, but right now, you know I'm just sticking to marijuana.
WILL: Well, that's good.
GIRL: Yeah. So do yo want A TEN-DOLLAR-FUCK?
WILL: Naw...
GIRL: Are you gay?
WILL: Naw...
GIRL: Do you have a girlfriend?
WIll: Nope... I'm just not into it.
GIRL: Ok?
WILL:...
GIRL: So where's you're meeting?
WILL: Down Wilshire.
GIRL: Cool.

The conversation begins to linger. I think about pulling over and kicking her out; she's exuding all kinds of nasty energy, and I want nothing to do with. But no, I'm a man of my word, I'll take her to Wilshire. She helps me make a slightly dangerous driving maneuver and I come to a stop on Wilshire.

GIRL: Sure you don't want to fuck?
WILL: Yeah, I'm sure.

The Girl opens up the door.

GIRL: Later.
WILL: Good luck.

The Girl leaves. I see her make a move towards a pick up truck and then I drive away. I look up at God and shake my fist. He was fucking with me, again, and he was having a good laugh about it.

This was all true.

2 comments:

Kevin Baker said...

And that is why I don't give rides to hookers. ;-) I'm guessing that doesn't happen too often in any other city, but what do I know, I'm just a kid from West Virginia who used to hang out with that girl's brother.

Oh yeah, I read your blog now. Hutson told me about it and I like distractions from work.

Unknown said...

LOLOL of course that kinda thing would happen to you! hahahaha. good post, i got a good laugh =D