9.3.08

The Bush Legacy

So i like to bring the funny, but you know there is a little part of me that just doesn't want to stop thinking about America and Politics and stuff. I know I'm in the Entertainment Industry and all, and I have what I'd probably consider a limited understanding of things and the oh so important greater picture, but dammit BUSH makes me think about this stuff. I was going to write a REVIEW OF JANET JACKSON'S NEW CD, but BUT, now I gots to write about all sneaky stuff that Bush is going to try slide under the American Rug while all eyes are on the Election.

So what is that's gotten Will Gong screaming from the top of the hill? Well, the thing that scares me the most is his overwhelming desire to solidify all the presidential powers he received or took after 9/11 and turn them into absolute law, unbinding, and immune to any congressional action. And I know I have read plenty of science fiction and whatnot, so I could be deluded, but it's those kinds of actions, that kind of culture of thought that leads us into those dark and murky places of science fiction.

All this comes from Bush's 9th veto, a veto on a congressional bill that would limit the C.I.A's interrogation tactics to be less physical, to cut down on torture. The simple math around it is Terrorism is bad. Interrogation is good, and we keep America safe with it. And only the C.I.A can do it. These tactics are banned in combat, banned for the F.B.I. These are the same tactics that are used in the movies when the BAD GUYS INTERROGATE THE GOOD GUYS. It's only in Bush's world. He says that Advanced Interrogation Tactics (is there a class?) has helped keep America safe and provided intelligence to stop the Terrorists, the Senator Rockefellor of West Virginia, chairman of the Intelligence Committee, is like, "Uh I haven't seen any of this information."

And THIS VETO is really only part of his greater scheme to solidify his executive powers to do whatever the FRAK he wants when it comes to Prosecuting War. If somebody, like Congress or the President or Karl Rove and that guy that works down at Subway declare War on a country, then it's like free reign for the President. He basically becomes a Dictator. (If am misinformed on anything please let me know, so i can revise my statements and my head.)

So I guess, the thing that I think that what bothers me the most is that in my concept of good and bad, and my concept of America, I don't want the U.S.A. to be the bad guys and too often recently has this seemed like the case. It's like America is the Titanic and Bush is throwing ice at the side of the ship hoping it will go down faster. And maybe just maybe if Bush had been a little smarter a little more charismatic, we may not have seen this, he may have been able to hide what his administration had been planning. And maybe in retrospect we will change our minds. But what I do know is that all Writers, creators, thinkers ought to be thinking about the events in our nation during this time and be putting those to good use, because tomorrow's Americans are going to need some perspective on today's events, some didactic thought, and are going to need a fictional place to see where these atrocities can lead (hopefully won't lead, but can) and learn from all of this.

No comments: