22.2.08

The 6th man

Ah... Being a fan... it sucks.

I got into an argument with Rachel (insert punch line) which started from her getting on my case because I described the a deal that the Wizards made with a WE. As in I was part of the team, like I owned it or played for it.

Ahh... I argued back that she wasn't a true fan, she didn't know more then like 3 names of the Giants and other teams. I'm like then obviously you can't claim any ownage.

The truth is that when you're a dedicated fan, you are part of the team. And in many cases you will always be a part of the team, after players and coaches have come and gone, you're still there. You carry it with you until you die. It is a love. A stupid irrational love. Doesn't make any sense on a logical level.

Honestly, right now, I'm watching the Wizards struggle against a Cavalier team that is missing like 6 players due to injuries and trades, and of course they're still in the game. They have Lebron James, their best player. And we are missing our two best players. We've got Rookies and Journeymen playing like chickens out there. And I feel sick. Of course, I'm also sick because I have to hear Lebron this and Lebron that and oh man isn't he so great. Look at how he makes everyone better.

But I digress. The only good thing, I suppose is that these players will get to play a little while the starters are out and you can figure out who is actually good and that SPELLCHECK still think Lebron is a misspelling of Lebrun.

All in all, I just wanted to talk about being a fan. Are ya'll fans of anything? Where when their good you're with them and w when they're bad you feel sick, and mad when they play stupid, where every little trade, defensive switch, piece of news is invaluable to your day to day.

And that's why I say WE.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

1. We had an awesome regular season but we peaked too early. About mid-season. We kinda limped into the playoffs and for the second year in a row, we got bounced out in our first playoff game. We'll be in it again next year and hopefully we start winning when it counts the most.


2. A few years ago we were the best team in the nation. We had a three year streak where we lost only two games. But players and coaches left and we slowly declined. But I feel like we're turning it around. We had a different coach last year and from everything I've read about him, he's gonna do good things. In fact, in his first full recruiting season, we're unanimously ranked top 5 in the country (#1 in some polls).


3. We're having a bad year. But that's nothing new, we had a bad year last year. And we'll probably have a bad year next year. Hell, we've had bad decades. We suck. Our players suck, our coaches suck, our owner sucks. The whole organization sucks.

SO, anybody who says you can't say "we" when refering to your sports team - doesn't know the first thing about sports. And if you do, you may have guessed my three teams.
1. Dallas Cowboys (NFL)
2. Miami Hurricanes (college football)
3. New York Knicks (NBA)

Will, bottom line is that you're 100% right. Fans are sports. Fans watch sports even when their teams suck. Fans love the games. Fans are the reason professional players make millions.

The Knicks have sucked for a good 5-8 years now and yet I can still remember vividly several key games and moments from they're late '90s heyday.

I could go on and on and on...

But instead, I'll leave you all with this. I attended BOTH turning points in recent Miami Hurricanes football. I was there in person at the 5th game of the 2000 season when the Hurricanes defeated arch rival Florida State Seminoles 27-24 ending with "wide right III". Miami didn't lose another game until the national championship versus Ohio State at the end of the 2002 season! (and ask us Canes about that game - we won it before we lost).

Still can't say "we"? I was also at the 2005 Peach Bowl as UM football sunk, losing 42-3 to LSU. We've gone on to lose some more games, six and seven a year for a program that was SO good such a short time ago. That's painful. That's sports and that's the life of a fan.