16.2.09

Right On# 01 Music Wrap Up 2008

2008 was not the best year for Music. I think most of us can agree with that, but there were a few standouts for me.

Uh, like:

Mariah Carey - E=MC2 (I mean, it's so listenable)
Radiohead - In Rainbows (It's Radiohead, but dammit, I wish they could make music I could understand again.)
Old 97's - Blame It on Gravity (quite good)
Taylor Swift - Fearless (yeah, it's good, and yeah, its songs for 15 year olds. Whatever.)
Girl Talk - Feed The Animals (First 6 songs are amazing.... then you start to tune it out)
Coldplay - Viva La Vida (Dammit, WHY!!!!! So much goodness, so much that drives me bonkers. Separate your F%&^*&NG songs.)
Sugarland - Love on The Inside (Good stuff for driving. and life.)
Zox - Line In the Sand (wow. Really good CD came out of nowhere. It was like the perfect CD to listen to at the time I found it.)
Ne-Yo - Year or the Gentleman (R&B I can support. Song for song.)
Joshua Radin - Simple Times (great music for a rainy day)
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (otherworldly folklike songs that is a great listen.)
Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns (Because they're snow patrol. I mean really. No, actually the cd is quite good. It's a grower. You know.)

And there were some disappointments, uh like:

Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul (I would ask them that same question. I mean I'm so used to mediocre shit from them that they should just be taken off this list, but then I'd only have like 3.)
The Killers - Day&Age (I tune out when the Springsteen sax solos begin.)
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Cardinology (like boring.totally.)
Guns 'N' Roses - Chinese Democracy (I don't even want to listen to it.)

And then there was:

Kanye West - Heartbreaks & 808s (which could be on both lists, because who wants Kanye to sing and make songs that seem like a cross between Electric Boogaloo, Radiohead, & Phil Collins, but... some of those songs are amazing.

So I wish I could have remembered more disappointments, but the truth is that you just don't listen if you don't like, so that seems to be the case.

OH MY, I totally forgot Janet Jackson put out a CD last year, Discipline. And yeah, it sucked too. I mean really if Mariah can do it, I think Janet should, I mean Mariah doesn't even have the same chops, but I guess Janet does sound like Kanye when she sings these days, so that's not very good, and at least Mariah keeps her crazy shit in her head, unlike Janet whose songs make you feel dirty, and not in a good way. Oh yeah, and Fall Out Boy put out a Cd and I never heard a peep of it, cause I was done with them, so that's kind of sad. And then there was Britney's supposed return to music, and yeah the CD is okay, but it's like as Okay as the rest of them, until she does something inspiring, I'm tuning out.

No comments: