21.4.08

Saturday Night: Going With The Flow

I think one of the hardest things for me to do in life is to just go with the flow.

Now I know what some of you may be thinking, "oh this is Will, he just packed up his bags from Red Lobster in VA and moved out to California with no money, no home, and no job in sight." As much as this suggests a dude that is just like "Fuck Iiiitttttt..." I'm really not like that. In middle school, I was the friend that pushed the slogans "Just do it" and "Fuck it", but I wasn't the one that really took it and ran with it, if you know what I mean. Most of what is I do is really well thought out and if I do just go with it, it's really that I have DECIDED to just go with it. Even if I think about it for 1 second, there were a billion tiny decisions that were done in that tiny second.

This has been something I've been working on. Mostly in my head and a lot through Yoga (yes, it's another not-so-shameless plug for body stretching and rhythmic breathing, I'm sorry!). Two of my favorites facets of Yoga are: Setting Your Intentions, and learning to Going With The Flow. These are two things that I feel that I don't do enough in general. And while I may get to discussing Setting Your Intentions another time, today I'm focusing on Going With The Flow.

So last Saturday. Good friend Michelle was in town for a conference and we had all decided to go out Saturday night, but nobody knew what they wanted to do. You know I could've gone home to sleep, Michelle wanted to get cocktails and chill, and I don't know what Corey wanted to do, but he was the one that brought up crashing the PROM PARTY (a gathering of people well past Prom going age, dressing up, limosines, dancing, and legal drinking!). So in the middle of seeing a movie, "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" (which made me kind of forget the television characters they play) I decided to just say fuck it and go with the flow, whatever happened tonight was going to happen.

We dressed up (or what I call, putting on clothes that actually fit me and don't make me look like I'm wearing a bed shirt, and yes I tried to put on the shirt that I wore in Vegas, which I had not cleaned, but was going to iron and febreze, but then saw that it had lipstick on it (how did that happen again?)) Corey drove us down to Busby's down on Wilshire and into the fray we went.

So what does just going with the flow mean when you go hit the town: it means that just receiving drinks that may have belonged to someone else first and finish it, it means leaning backwards with a vodka bottle filling your moth, it means dancing with whoever or in between whoever, or telling everyone that looks hot that they look hot without actually wanting anything, it means walking through private doors until you end up in a different bar that has an available bathroom without a line, it means telling a girl that might want to dance that she dances really funny and it makes me laugh and no I'm not going to dance with her, it means bouncing around in a group like a pinball in a machine of people who are about to fall over because they are so drunk, and maybe it means getting your freak on without whoever and not worrying about the next day or making it awkward (which I think George Clinton would really be proud of), but most importantly it means most surreally ending the night at the N'synch dude, Lance Bass's house and drinking caffeine infused vodka and getting home past four a.m..

So while many of you may have thought I was intoxicated last Saturday from alcohol, I was really just intoxicated by the flow. And today, on Monday when I don't really have any paid work to do, because I'm not getting any phone calls, I'm just going to keep doing my thing without thinking about stuff that isn't in front of me, isn't tangible to my life as it is right now, because I'm really working on just going with the flow.

No comments: