27.1.08

U2 in 3D

Hey Friends,
So as long as I've known myself, I've been a U2 fan, and you know, I feel pretty good about that. Younger folk, the kids, they may not be into U2 and it kind of saddens me, because that may be the generation gap, and you know, I can throw down to a little Hannah Montana or whatever rump shaking new anthem that may have just dropped on your all new all the time hip-hop R/B station. But no matter what if the kids don't listen to U2 then I'm old. Then I'm like their parents.
Anyway, I'm actually not the only one who feels sad about this. U2 themselves, feel this way. They hate the fact some of the younger folk just aren't into their powerful anthemic music. So they've attempted something that only U2 might attempt.
A 3D concert film. Probably not their idea, but they jumped at it anyway. Because they want to do something cool and they hope that the young folks are going to think it's cool, and trust that the old folks will just follow them as they usually do.
It opened at IMAX screens on Wednesday. And I took some of my friends to go see it. We were of course joined by a massive group of mid-twenties to early forties viewers.
It's awesome... like I mean really awesome. Like so awesome, I think everyone should go see it. And it's not just how the 3D makes them and the crowd stand out, its the show, it's the angles. It's like watching a football game on your TV and you say, "Man it's so much better being here then it is at the game where they look like flies."
Now, seeing U2 at 3D concert isn't necessarily better then seeing them in real life, because it isn't. There is a communal power to being at U2 concert that the film captures, but you don't really feel a part of it. (damn screen) but it's CLOSE. It's U2 at their best, in the way that captures their music the right way, the powerful way, and illustrates how integral all 4 guys are to the music.
So anyway, young people, old people, friend people, neighbor people, check out U2 3D at your local IMAX if you have one, or in a few months or so it will be coming to your regular Digital Theaters. Great way to spend some money and save some money.

2 comments:

Hutson Hayward said...

Of course, as you know, U2 is *not* the only group to attempt the 3-D concert film— the very same Hannah Montana you mentioned just did the same thing. Now her film has more behind the scenes "rock star" stuff, to be sure, but still. She did it too.

That said, "U2 3D" was *beyond* awesome, and I agree with everything you said. Especially the part where everyone should go see it right now.

Unknown said...

Rolling Stones did an IMAX concert film a while back....
So I don't know nothin' about Hannah Banana or Power 106, but let me just take a quick sec to Represent for my mid-thirties, Pixies loving, Jane's Addiction adoring, Radiohead worshipping demographic: U2 kinda blows. And I'm Irish too, so I hope the IRA doesn't come after me, but maybe I have more in common with these young kids than I ever thought. I hear some of them even like Pink Floyd, so there's hope for the future after all....