31.1.08

Sickness without Insurance

Hello Friends,

So I've recently been sick and I wanted to take the time to really chat about sickness.

I'm what like 27 now, and for the last 5 years I have only had insurance for 3 months of that. Which really frightens a lot of people. Not really me, which I've heard makes me kind of stupid, (thank you Grandma and others for all the positive sentiments) Honestly, I think the only time I was ever actually scared was when I was in a small hovel in South America huddled in my sleeping bag in the freezing cold. And there, well no insurance is going to help you in the Bolivian Outback. But this year I fully intend on getting health insurance, just like last year. Now if I get a new car, you can throw that out the window. But hold on real quick and lets take a look at what I'd rather buy instead of health insurance... uh... wait, let's not.

Anyway, since I've decided to avoid the purchase or acquisition of health insurance, I'm here to discuss alternative ways to heal oneself during sickness and to ask if any of you had heard of some alternative healing methods.

1. Over the Counter Medication - Is it really medicine? Or does it just block the neural pathways that cause you to feel ill? I really think that most of it makes you feel better, but doesn't make you better. So that's why I've decided to go more herbal.Echinacea - I have mixed feelings about echinacea. I hardly ever realize I'm getting sick until it's too late for this fantastic herb to it's best work. But I can tell you that when I'm taking it or drinking it in tea, that I feel great! In fact, I feel so good I don't drink coffee. I mean really can you imagine it. Now if it helps the cold out, well that's sweet too. I'd like to think it does but it could just be the placebo effect.

2. Chicken Soup - Does this actually help? I don't have the slightest clue, but I do feel that I get over things better with the soup.

3. Echinacea - I have mixed feelings about echinacea. I hardly ever realize I'm getting sick until it's too late for this fantastic herb to it's best work. But I can tell you that when I'm taking it or drinking it in tea, that I feel great! In fact, I feel so good I don't drink coffee. I mean really can you imagine it. Now if it helps the cold out, well that's sweet too. I'd like to think it does but it could just be the placebo effect...

4. The Mighty Onion - So yesterday, still not feeling better, I talked to Jessica Stuart about things  I could take other then Afrin that might make me better better.  And she gave me the recipe for an Onion/Herb Soup. Which I fully intend to make on Saturday. But this being a work day, I asked her what I could do instead. And she said eat an onion. So I went downstairs to the first floor and talked to the lovely ladies at the California Subs and asked for a lot of onions. Which they obliged. Friends. I then swallowed onions.  And I felt kind of sick. And then Jessica told me it was like dumping toxic waste onto the virus. Well, today I feel a whole lot better and I'm not sure if it was the Onion or the time to run it's course.

5. Sleep - A lot. And let the fever do it's thing. It's helping you. Remember that. But also remember that if it's gets really bad, and you own a thermometer check it and don't die.

So now that I've shared some of the ways I get better without health insurance and pills and shit. What kind of non-prescription ideas do you all have or know of?

Oh and 1 more thing: 2 Things to avoid while being sick -- Not sleeping and Blu-Ray projects.

No comments: