20.10.09

Have I Returned?

I haven't blogged since I was in Toronto. I kind of made a decision that if continuing the blog was too draining or became too big a deal for me to do, I'd just drop it, and that happened. And it happened right around the time I got to Montreal. At that point everyday became an adventure, wrapped up in events that I wasn't entirely in control of.

And once, I left Montreal, I kind of felt like I'd gotten everything I wanted out of the trip and that I was ready to go back, of course I still had three to five more weeks left. And hopefully, I'll get to recapping some of what happened during those few weeks. But for now, I will leave you with this.

Home

Home is a funny thing, conceptually, and like so many words and concepts, as you separate from what you know and fling yourself out into the world, meanings and beliefs twist and reshape, but here’s what I’ve come to think about when I think of home.

Home is home; you know what it is and what it isn’t. Home is where you rest. Home is not just the place you pay rent, it extends out from where you are temporally to where you are spiritually. Home is where your friends are; it’s where your family is. Home doesn’t mean you’re happy, it doesn’t mean you’re comfortable, it doesn’t even mean you have to feel anything. Home is where you can go into the kitchen, pull a cup from the cupboard, and make yourself some tea without ever having to ask. Home can live on in your imagination and live up to your dreams. Going home can be like getting a hug and then getting slapped, or vice versa. Home is a place where you can find love, a place where you can be a bastard, and a place where you can make a huge mistake and still hope to be forgiven, which is why you made that decision in the first place. Home is to be taken for granted, although people are not to be.

No comments: